A new stage of the national shipbuilding begins at the time when Russia is challenged with the task of
In January 1908,
The ship model basin is undergoing extensive upgrading.
Emperor Nicolas II decrees to
The Towing Tank starts testing commercial vessel models. The first ones were models of cargo/passenger riverboats built at the Sormovo Yard.
The Towing Tank builds the mechanical laboratory for ship material research. Within a few years’ time the laboratory tests over 2,000 specimens of materials for surface ships and submarines under construction at that time.
The new Superintendent of the Towing Tank becomes
The Towing Tank is heavily involved in work on almost all designs of surface combatants and submarines built under the main and additional construction programs of the Russian Imperial Navy. Those projects included Sevastopol- and Imperatritsa Marija ('Empress Maria')-class battleships,